Friday, April 17, 2009

What kind of Mother am I?

Have you ever had one of those days? You know where you go to the grocery store and it's like torture?

Well my day had started out kinda ok. I got my bills paid, Andrew got off to work, Kyla went to school. Got a few things done around the house, ate lunch and we were down for naps and quiet time. Not to bad. Until I decided to go grocery shopping. Kyla and Breven were a nightmare. Kyla almost got hit about 8 times by someones shopping cart because she wouldn't stop dancing with her eyes closed around the store. Not cute when you are always in somebody's way. Breven kept knocking things off the shelves. It took us about an hour to finish. All in all by the end I just wanted to get home and be done.

From that I think I could have recovered, but as I was fixing dinner later, I had that sudden thought pop into my mind, Ummm I haven't heard from Breven for a while. And as all moms know that is never good. He is either hiding with candy or making a big mess with something he knows he shouldn't have. I had let him out into the back yard to play so i peeked out the window to see if he was there, nope. So I went outside to check the sides of the yard that I couldn't see and make sure the gate was closed. I saw a closed gate but no Breven. I checked inside to see if he had some how gotten inside without me knowing it. Nope. NO BREVEN ANYWHERE! By then I knew he was out in the front, somewhere. I ran outside and walked down the side walk and didn't see him, so I went around the corner, and fortunately there he was. Crying walking home. He now knows how to open our back yard gate. ( and now it has a lock on it).

Now I don't know if anyone has ever lost their kid for even a few moments, but by this time I was shaking. From relief and anger. So it was a fun surprise to walk in and find out that Kyla had cut her hair FOR THE 4TH TIME!!! And now you know my sanity is gone, bye bye, out the window. Kyla's bangs (bangs only thank goodness) are pretty much gone. oh there is a nice short row of bangs, across her forehead, but not much. I sent myself to time out to get a hold of myself, called my mom and dad to become a little more sane before I went back in.

TIME FOR BED!

I got the kids in bed very quickly that night and decided I had had enough and was going to bed also.

The next morning ( oh yes it keeps going ) I was getting things ready for the little girl I baby sit on Thursdays. I think I was doing dishes at the time I heard this noise behind me, like someone is getting into something they shouldn't.......Like TUMS. I turn around and sure enough, there is my sweet little Breven putting back an almost empty bottle of tums. Not an almost empty small bottle of tums, but a big bottle. And he was chewing. He had eaten about 40 tums to my closest estimation. Great my son just OD'd on tums. I call poison control to ask just how many tums a 2 year old that weights 20 lbs can eat with out having to go to the hospital. Then before the lady on the phone even tell me if he will be OK or not she asks me, And can I have your name? And where were you, how can your son be alone long enough to eat that many tums without you knowing. Thanks I thought, even though I was asking myself the same question it always hurts to hear someone say the obvious sometimes. Well I say, I was doing dishes and he was watching a movie, and apparently eating tums at the same time. News to me, he can eat quite quickly if he wants to. So while i am on the phone with poison control, Guess who shows up. Gracie ( the little girl I watch) and her Dad. Yea now he feels safe to leave his daughter with me.

So now I ask myself
What kind of mother am I
How can my daughter find scissors 4 different times to cut her hair
How can I let my son get into my medicine
How can I not know my son is not in the back yard let alone anywhere around the house
Why is it my children screaming and running around and knocking things off the shelves at the store.

AM I READY FOR THREE

7 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

WOW, I am sure you were glad to finally just go to bed that first night....but then it continued!!! I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to be a mom. I never feel like I am a good mom.

The Bassetts said...

Oh Brenda, what a HORRIBLE 24 hours! But luckily I have an answer to your question: You are an AWESOME mom as well as a completely normal one!

Brent and Amanda Quist said...

I just got your blog address the other day and it is so good to get up dated. Almost anything can happen that will make you feel like a bad mom. I don't even have a toddler yet and I can feel that way. Hay just say it out loud, "I love my children but I don't always love motherhood". You know there are lots of women out there who feel that way but just won't say it.
Good Luck.

Easton said...

Don't worry...it could always be worse. Trust me...I know. What a stressful day, okay two days. Just take a deep breath...you are a great Mom. We all have moments like that.

S&J Jones Family said...

James got out of the house 2 times in the last week and went to the neighbor's house while Spencer was napping and I was out...kids will be kids...it happens. It is very scary though!

Lynn said...

Questions we all ask ourselves many times. There are times everyone feels inadequate, but ALWAYS look for and CLAIM those moments when you KNOW you're doing a great job. Admit it. Enjoy those moments. Even write them down so you can remember those as well. It's not bragging. It's keeping your sanity.
Love you all,
MomBa

Natalia said...

don't feel bad! I had to call poisen contol twice in one week when Hendrix was just over a year old. I think I have called a total of 4 times though! You are a great mom and will do great with 3!